Department of Structural Studies
75 Pułku Piechoty 1A Str.
41-500 Chorzów, Poland
tel. (+48) 32 3497 515
Head of Department: dr hab. prof. UŚ Tomasz Goryczka
tel. (+48) 32 3497 519
The Laboratory of Structural Studies carry out the study of the crystal structure of metallic, ceramic and composite materials. Particularly, studies are focused on:
- Shape memory alloys - structure, properties and application (NiTi-based alloys, copper-based alloys, Heusler-based alloys revealing magnetic shape memory.
- Surface modification of NiTi-based alloys for medical application.
- Ni-free titanium alloys for medical applications.
- Crystal structure of ferromagnetic metallic glasses based on iron or cobalt.
- Powder and porous materials for industrial and medical use.
- Mechanism of plastic deformation of semiconductor materials using the nanoindentation method and computer simulations.
We offer research and expertise in the field:
- Determination of the crystal structure using the LeBail and Ritveld methods and electron crystallography.
- Qualitative and quantitative X-ray phase analysis (including also high-temperature tests).
- Structure characteristics of thin-film materials by means of reflectometry, SKP and electron microscopy.
- Determination of temperature and heat of phase transformations.
- Studies of the crystalline structure of materials and surface layers using transmission and scanning electron microscopy, including: techniques that use:
- precession of electron beam (TEM),
- high resolution electron microscopy with the possibility of determining the chemical composition in nano-areas (EDS),
- EBSD methods.
- Surface topography studies using a scanning electron microscope.
- In situ research in a scanning electron microscope - high temperature tests, studies of surface crystallization using the EBSD method.
- Texture determination by X-ray method and EBSD method.
- Research on the chemical composition of surfaces by Auger, EDS spectroscopy, fluorescence method.
- Testing the physical properties of the surface layers by nanoindentation.
- Surface structure analysis by AFM method.
- Expert opinions on quality and defects in materials and products as well as technical consultancy in the selection of materials for specific products.
- Training in the use of modern research methods.
- X-ray diffractometer X`Pert-Pro type (PHILIPS)
- The high resolution transmission electron microscope JEM-3010 (JEOL), scanning electron microscope JSM-6480 (JEOL)
- Thermal analyzer (Mettler)
- Triboindenter TI 950 (Hysitron)